Thursday, April 14, 2011

Name that Goo!

Okay People.   We are going to play a little game. No Cheating ok??  Here is how you play:

I need you to guess what kind of goo, gunk, muck is on Wyatt's face in this photo.   Don't scroll down to see the answer until you have made your guess.   I will put you all on the honor system:  If you guess correctly, send me an email with your address to brainbalancemom@gmail.com and I will send you a small prize. :) 
 
I know he looks sad in the photo but he wasn't really - just the best I could get.  :)

Answer Below....................
*
*
*
*No - it is not Poop.  We will just clear that up right away. 
*
*
*
*No - it is not Mud or dirt. (although it has been before...)
*
*
*
*No - it is not Chocolate
*
*
*
*No - it is not Barbeque Sauce
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*The
*
*
*Answer
*
*
*Is
*
*
*
*
*
********************************COFFEE!!!********************************

If anyone guessed that right, please email me or make a comment.   I am dying to know if that even entered anyone's mind because it never would have mine. 

Yes, that is right folks.  Coffee.  He turned 6 yesterday so I figured he was old enough to give it a try.  :)

Okay for real - We don't even drink coffee so why is it that my 6 year old boy who won't even eat ice cream or an apple eat ground coffee?  That is a good question.  Here is the story.  Yes, there is always a story.  

Today was a typical BB day.  For those of you that can't figure that out - the BB is for Brain Balance :)  I will be using the abbreviation a lot since any time I can save is helpful :)  Also, not sure why I use bullets sometimes.  I always think that it will make me just give the main idea and cut things down.  Who am I kidding.  Get comfortable - this is a long one - but a good one. 
  • I was Awoken before 7 am by a little girl asking for cereal.  (As usual) 
  • I told her to wake up Paige and ask her since Paige gets like 12 hours of sleep a night as compared to my 6 or less.  ;) 
  • She tried to wake up Paige and there was no response.  Don't worry - I got her some cereal.
  • Enter Brody:  "Paige will you give me my medicine so I can eat?" (He has to wait 30 minutes after his supplements before he can eat so he likes to do it first thing)
  • Brody: "Mama, Paige won't wake up".  Me: "She will get up honey"
  • Brody: "Every time I wake her up she just closes her eyes and she just ignores me"
  • Needless to say - Paige woke up on the wrong side of the bed.  ;)
  • Next it was supplements, medications and breakfast. 
  • Then we were on to reflex exercises, dishes, etc. 
  • I had a lot of paperwork and bills to do so Paige took the kids to the park. 
  • They ended up on a "imagination walk" and here is the story I got:
"We walked around the apartment complex. We were pretending that it was an ocean and we were trying to get back to our ship with the captain Mama to save her. We were pretending the cars were whales and the golf carts were sharks and the road was the middle of the ocean.  So we had to run really fast (swim) so the sharks and sea turtles wouldn't eat us. We went through backyards and up and down stairs and over bushes an through trees!  We called the reefs, then we saw a dead surfer that didn't make it back to their ship! Also we found the ocean of doom (which was an area down a hill with lots if trees and bushes and water)  Then we saw skeletons pirates and ninja skeletons that came back alive to seek their revenge! We went everywhere and got away from lots of sharks and sea creatures!  We ended up making it back to the ship to save Mama."
  • The kids came running in the house to save me and then Brody said "That was the best trip ever!!!"  
  • Paige is awesome because she knew an outdoor walk and using their imaginations was just the thing they needed to help stimulate the right brain :)
  • It was time for Wyatt to go to BB so I went and dropped him off (because I had a car!) and ran home to do more work and eat lunch.  We were trying to get everyone ready to leave in time to pick up Wyatt and then go to get a prescription and go to the park before we had to take Brody to BB.  Brody and Hazel were NOT cooperating.  They weren't eating their lunch, they weren't obeying, and they were being really crazy and loud.  I couldn't find anything to have for lunch and I was maybe a little low on sleep and I just freaked out - (Just a little).  I  said (maybe with just a bit of a raised voice) that I didn't even have time to eat and the kitchen was a mess and we didn't have time now to all go get Wyatt and I would just have to go get him and come back and then I went in my room and tried to slam the door but it wouldn't work because there was no door knob to hold onto. (We haven't put it back on because we know Wy will just lock us out again).  As I sat at my computer trying to figure out what had just happened I heard Brody say "What is going on with Mama?"  It was kind of in his funny voice as to say - "she's nuts".  Moving on. 
  • I went back out and ate really quickly and was off to get Wyatt. 
  • We fed him lunch when he got home which included another small bowl of applesauce.  SIDE NOTE: We buy organic applesauce, but I have used just "all natural, no sugar added" applesauce as well.  However, when I was at Costco yesterday I looked at the Mott's applesauce they had there but it didn't say "no sugar added" so I decided to look at the label.  Guess what was in it?  High fructose corn syrup.  Bad Bad Bad.  Moral of the story is,  please make sure to check your labels for toxic ingredients like that - especially before you feed them to children.
  • Wyatt was Obsessed again and wanted his phone to play with.  We told him we were going to the park and that we were not going to give it to him.  He kept asking, and asking and asking.  He sat down to eat and I was in on my computer.  The next thing I know, here comes Wyatt carrying his bowl of applesauce.  He sat it on my desk, picked up the spoon and handed it to me and said "apple".  I figured he wanted me to feed him a bite so I did.  Then - the little stinker said "yay!" (for himself) and then grabbed my phone and ran off.  Hmm.  I wonder if he is so smart that he knew he would get a phone to play with if he ate his applesauce?   So - he brought it right to me, congratulated himself (which we usually do) and then retrieved his chosen reinforcement. Yes, he is that smart.
  • We got everyone in the car and headed to the next town to get Wyatt's prescription and then go to the park. 
  • We found a park and played for a bit and Brody met a friend.  He LOVES meeting new people and making friends.  In fact, he always says that if there are no other kids at the park that he doesn't want to go.  He has gone as far as to say that he wants 400 kids there...  Let's hope that never happens.  
  • Anyways, he talked and played with a little boy for the 30 minutes we were there.  As we were loading up in the car he came over and asked me what our phone number was.  He said he wanted to give it to his new friend so that they could have a play date.  It was really cute so I wrote our number down and he gave it to his friend.  (after we left he told me that he didn't even know the boy's name.....) 
  • Hazel is a little monkey and is doing so well on the monkey bars.  She did them over and over.  I will post some videos soon. 
  • We dropped Brody at BB and then ran to Fresh Market to buy Bacon.  Wyatt asks for Bacon almost as much as he asks for "game" and we were out of bacon!  We buy the organic turkey bacon with no sugar or nitrates so I don't feel bad letting him have it.  
  • I dropped off Paige, Wyatt and Hazel at home and went back to get Brody.  We ran back to Jump 2 it to pick up Brody's shoes that he had left there yesterday and then headed to the store.  
  • I just needed a few things juice being one of them.  The juice aisle also has the toys on it (how convenient).  Brody looked at the clone troopers and other star wars figures and tried to get me to buy them.  Then, he asked me a random question "is taking a bath right brain?"  I wasn't sure what he was getting at, but I told him that swimming was good to stimulate the right brain and asked why?  He then showed me some little fishy bath toys and said "we need to buy these because they are right brain!"  He proceeded to say "these are right brain" multiple times while the woman on the aisle with us gave me a strange look.
  • While I was there I bought some coffee.  I have never bought coffee before.  In retrospect the coffee beans would have been a better choice than the ground coffee.  Read on to find out why.  As I said before, we are supposed to be stimulating certain senses and one is smell.  There are certain scents we are supposed to have them smell as often as we can.  Smell is the only sense that has a direct path to the brain so it is very important.  The more they do this and the more they even learn how to smell, the more they will start to try new foods.  Make sense?  So yesterday I had purchased some oils online:  Spearmint, firewood, pine, etc.  There were a few I already had (black pepper, cloves) and I figured I could just buy others at the store (coffee). 
  • We got home and the kids were all running around crazy as usual.  We unloaded the groceries, started dinner and medicines, etc.  As I was unloading I found the coffee.  I decided now was a good time (since it was so calm and quiet....) to try to get Wyatt to smell it.  I poured some in a small Tupperware and tried Brody first.  He smelled it, smelled it again, and then again and then yelled "Coffee smells good!" 
  • I moved on to Wyatt.  I tried to get it even near his face and he did what he always does if I try to get anything by his face and pushed it away.  I told him just to smell it and showed him what to do.  I then put it back by his nose and this time he let me.  I was not sure if he actually sniffed it, but it was a good start.  He then walked away and it was Hazels' turn - (her idea, not mine).  She smelled it and also thought it smelled good.  (I think it smells terrible)  
  • Then out of the blue Wyatt came wandering back up and grabbed my hand as if he wanted to smell it again?!!??  Weird!  Had he actually smelled it just then?  Did he like it?  Did it intrigue him?  Who knows!  So I got face to face with him and we both had our noses over the same tiny Tupperware.  I was trying to show him how to sniff or breathe in so he could actually smell it.  I am not sure what happened next - he either blew out his mouth or his nose, but he blew hard and......
  • Coffee went all over in my eyes.  Not just a little bit, a lot.  I have had sand in my eyes before, but it is usually blowing in the wind and a bit blows into your eyes.  This was a sand storm 2 centimeters from my face.  I couldn't close my eyes because it felt so disgusting and hurt a bit.  I thought it was going to sting, but it didn't really.  It irritated a lot and was uncomfortable, but it didn't burn.  So now all of you know that  - so when you decide you want to get coffee in your eyes you won't be worried about it being painful.  
  • Paige quickly got me a medicine syringe and I ran to the bathroom to try to flush out my eyes.  As I left I yelled "watch the kids" (mother's intuition).  We both always watch the kids - probably too much, but that is just how it is right now.  
  • I was in the bathroom trying to get coffee out of my eyes when I heard a commotion going on.  I went out to see what was going on and found the most unusual site. 
  • Paige had been giving Brody his medicine because he was starving and couldn't eat for 30 minutes after he took it.  She was also trying not to burn the food on the grill, yell at me to see if I was okay and keep Hazel from eating all the sugar in the house.  So, she was watching the kids, but not really "watching" every last thing. 
  • When I got out there I saw little Wyatt in the living room with gunk all over his face.  In all the craziness he had gone into the kitchen, taken the Tupperware of coffee and HAD STARTED EATING IT!  What?  That is so strange!  He doesn't eat anything and won't try new foods barely at all but he will eat ground coffee?  We quickly took it away and cleaned up the mess and finished dinner. 
  • Here is how I see it [which makes it right because mom's know best :)]  Wyatt had actually smelled the coffee (which is HUGE!)  He then wanted to smell it again (HUGE!) Then, because he must have liked the smell (like his siblings) he decided he should try to eat it!  That is the EXACT way that BB said it would work.  Now- I never really thought it would be with Coffee and I hope it is not with the firewood oil, but hey - IT WORKED!  I think my little boy might actually be able to smell!  If he can smell, then he will eat (eventually).   It seems so simple and easy compared to the 4 years of me trying EVERYTHING to get him to eat and try new foods.  But I truly believe that because Brain Balance is fixing the root of the problem and correcting the Functional Disconnection in his brain, that everything will just "click" and work so much easier than trying to do things backwards.  I know this to be true also because of him being potty trained after one week of BB after we had tried for 2 years. 
  • I am SO happy and so thrilled that my little boy ate coffee.  I am not as thrilled about the fact that my eyes still hurt, but I will recover.  This is remarkable and I can't wait to see more of these same crazy things keep happening. 
  • After that, Wyatt kept asking for Toast.  I haven't made him toast because the boys are both allergic to almonds and eggs now (that is a post I still haven't done) and I had NO idea what to use.  I had bought some pecans today to try making pecan flour and make an egg-less bread.  Now was a good time right?  
  • I threw the pecans in the Vitamix and what did I get?  Pecan butter - not pecan flour.  Hoping it would still work I added applesauce as an egg substitute, coconut oil as a butter substitute and the salt and baking soda.   I baked it for the required time and it was still a squishy mess so I baked it for double the required time.  It is not really squishy anymore but it is burnt and crumbles when you touch it.  Hmm..  I am still going to see if Wyatt will eat it.  I didn't really taste that bad.
It was finally bedtime for the kids.  (and Paige)  Okay fine - she stayed up and cleaned the kitchen, did the dishes and made me dinner - she is great!! I just like to mess with her :)

Now it is 1:00 a.m. and Wyatt is already up.  He is laying in my bed right now asking for Bacon.  I guess it is a good thing I bought some today.  

Goodnight.

P.S.  I tried to get Wyatt to eat the pecan bread.  It was a no go.  On a happier note:   I just put Wyatt back in bed with his water and bacon and said "I love you" and then he said "I love you"!!!  He used to say that to us sometimes but not since we stopped ABA!  Yahoo!! 

Brain Balance Works and I love it.  





1 comment:

  1. Loved the coffee story. You know...to this day when I walk by the section in the grocery store where people can choose beans to buy (or grind), I try to find the beans that have caramel flavor and smell away. I LOVE the smell of coffee.

    Sorry your eyes got brushed with the coffee Tam.

    ReplyDelete