Sunday, June 19, 2011

Change! Change! Change!

First of all: The Blog hit 10,000 page views today!  I really can't believe that at all.  When I set up this blog I knew my family would read it and that hopefully some moms would stumble upon it that were searching for answers and testimonials about the Brain Balance program.  I NEVER expected these kinds of numbers.  I wish I could say that it was because of my wit and charm, but I know better than that.  :)  Brain Balance is still so unknown and there is not a lot of information out there.  It is only logical that when there is only a handful of things that come up when you Google it, that mine will be one of them.   Either way, thank you to all of those that have supported us and prayed for us up to this point (which hopefully won't stop!)  Also I truly hope that this blog has helped those of you looking for answers or that you have passed it on to people that you know may be affected by these disorders.  Sadly, all of us know someone who is affected... 

When I was first searching for answers about Brain Balance, I was sometimes reluctant to ask questions because I didn't want to bother people.  I hope that anyone reading this blog will feel free to ask questions and I will definitely get back to you.  I don't know all the answers, but I will help in any way that I can. 


Tomorrow morning at 8:00 a.m. sharp I am calling to get Wyatt an appointment to take care of his leg.  I am assuming this means a hard cast which is scaring me quite a bit.  After all the screaming and fighting that went on just for the splint, I am just really concerned how he is going to react to a hard cast that is not removable.   Prayers are needed on this one...


I still can't believe this happened and it makes me wonder what is going through Wyatt's head.  I really wish I knew.   Does he know why his leg is hurting? Does he know his leg is broken?  Does he know what a broken bone is?  Does he know that it won't hurt forever?  Does he know he will be able to move again or get out of bed (since he hasn't moved since Friday night)?  Does he know that he will be able to walk again?  He is a smarty pants so I would assume he knows most of that, but I just wish he could tell me.  I wish so badly that he could tell me how he is feeling right now.

I know that everything happens for a reason so I am doing pretty good at not being upset or negative about the situation.  However, I can't help but think about all the things that will be changing:

  • No more Jump 2 it - that's for sure...
  • No more Sensory gym
  • No more swimming? (although I have heard there are waterproof casts?)  
  • No more running
  • No more jumping on the trampoline
  • No more climbing
  • No more slides?  Seems like that just wouldn't work
  • No much he can do at the park
  • No more rough play
  • Primitive reflex exercises are going to be interesting...
  • I am sure there are more that I will find out along the way.  
  • I have never had a broken bone and neither has my husband so we really don't know what to expect here. 
In addition, how does this affect the other children?  I can't just take them places and have Wyatt sit and watch and not participate.  But I also can't keep them from doing all of the above things either.... Hmm.



I am sure this will give us a chance to work on other things though.  We can work on fine motor a lot, handwriting, mirror imaging, computer work, visual exercises, etc.

Random thought that I believe not to be random:  His right leg is the one that broke.  I immediately realized what that meant and even though I didn't tell Brody what I was thinking, he mentioned the same thing today.  He is so smart.   He said "at least the left leg isn't broken so he can still use it to stimulate the right brain."  He is exactly right.  For those of you that aren't aware: (I didn't use to be) The right hemisphere of the brain controls the left side of the body and the left hemisphere controls the right side of the body.  So since his left leg was not broken, we can still use it to help us develop his right hemisphere.  Make sense? This is not just a coincidence to me. 


This definitely throws a big wrench in our life as we know it as well as our Brain Balance journey.  However, it is not about to stop us!  We will modify everything we can to continue doing the Brain Balance Program each and every day until Wyatt and Brody both reach their full potential.  I know it will take us a few years, but it WILL happen.  There will be no ADHD or ADHD symptoms.  There will be no Autism or Autism symptoms.  There will be no right brain delays or symptoms of right brain delays. 

Now I know there will always be a left brain dominance with my boys, but just as much of one as everyone has.  We are all a little more dominant on one side or the other but not enough to cause these symptoms that plague the nation's children.  Wait - make that the world's children.  I just met a mom on Friday who is here from England with her son attending the Brain Balance program.   I now have had over 25 different countries visit my blog.  I can't wait until this goes worldwide. 


The Brain Balance program can and will change the future of the WAY too many children affected by these disorders and my children are proof of that.  I am so excited and honored to be able to be a part of that change!  Above all, I am so excited to see what the future holds for my own children and family.  Whatever it is, I know it will be amazing.


Goodnight!

1 comment: