Saturday, March 19, 2011

End of the First Week

Okay so we haven't been here a whole week, but it is the end of our first week at Brain Balance.  Officially we have only been here 4 days, but it feels like a month.  Don't really know why?  Things are great and exciting, just very overwhelming and some days are just easier than others. 

We are still not unpacked  - which has partially to do with the fact that we have had NO time and partially because we have nothing to unpack into.  We have no dressers and no hangers!  Hopefully this weekend we will have more time to get settled and organized as best we can with what we have.  We still have a total of 12 sets of reflex exercises to do per day as well as cooking, baking, sensory motor activities - reading, paperwork, schedule making and then any other household things a "normal" family would do.   I need to start going to bed earlier :)

Tonight was my nutrition consultation.  My family has been on the Specific Carbohydrate diet for almost 2 years, so most of the information he had was not new to me.  However, there were quite a few things that I learned.  He said that the SCD diet was, in his opinion, by far the best diet for any child with ANY neurological problems.  In fact, it would be great if all families and kids could be on it, but most Americans don't want to give up there Soda, fast food and sugar...

Again, I will have to go into more detail later but here are the basics:

1.  The food that our children eat is toxic - literally.  There are so many toxins, harmful chemicals, additives, preservatives,  etc.  To adults, these things aren't going to kill us (at least not quickly) but for little children with Developing brains, they are VERY harmful.  People seem to think that people like me are nuts, but when you really do some research into what your family is eating, what the ingredients are, what those ingredients are made of and what harm they can do to your child, then you will definitely think twice before you feed it to them.

Example:  High Fructose Corn Syrup.  It contains Mercury.  That is the same mercury that they have "removed" from vaccines (even though they replaced it with toxic aluminum..)  The same mercury they tell you not to consume while you are pregnant by way of tuna or other seafood but recommend you have injected into you by way of  a flu shot.  Again this is the same mercury that they call in HAZMAT to clean up even though the amount spilled was less than what is in a flu shot.  How does any of that even make sense?    It doesn't.  Mercury is a toxic metal.  It damages the brain and has many terrible side effects- especially for little children and developing brains.  Please read below and take note of every detail (especially the paragraph in bold)

Symptoms of Mercury Poisoning
By the Environmental Protection Agency
  • Impairment of the peripheral vision
  • Disturbances in sensations ("pins and needles" feelings, numbness) usually in the hands feet and sometimes around the mouth
  • Lack of coordination of movements, such as writing
  • Impairment of speech, hearing, walking;
  • Muscle weakness
  • Skin rashes
  • Mood swing
  • Memory loss
  • Mental disturbance
Mercury Exposure
Health problems caused by mercury depend on how much has entered your body, how it entered your body, how long you have been exposed to it, and how your body responds to the mercury. People are at risk when they consume mercury-contaminated fish and when they are exposed to spilled mercury.
Elemental (metallic) mercury and its compounds are toxic and exposure to excessive levels can permanently damage or fatally injure the brain and kidneys. Elemental mercury can also be absorbed through the skin and cause allergic reactions. Ingestion of inorganic mercury compounds can cause severe renal and gastrointestinal toxicity. Organic compounds of mercury such as methylmercury are considered the most toxic forms of the element. Exposures to very small amounts of these compounds can result in devastating neurological damage and death.
For fetuses, infants and children, the primary health effects of mercury are on neurological development. Even low levels of mercury exposure such as result from mother's consumption methylmercury in dietary sources can adversely affect the brain and nervous system. Impacts on memory, attention, language and other skills have been found in children exposed to moderate levels in the womb.

This is only one TINY bit of information that is out there on Mercury.  Google it and you will find it.  Point is - do any of us KNOWINGLY want to feed our children something that WILL do the things described above?  No.  The problem is, a lot of people have NO idea how toxic the foods are that they are eating and feeding their kids.  Also, these toxins and chemicals are in EVERYTHING.  All of the stuff that is quick and easy and that your kids love probably contains something bad for them.  Sorry to break it to you - but it is true. I am just a mom, but you can go and talk to a nutritionist, and do your own research and reading and they will tell you the same.

Here is an article that talks more about the foods that contain High Fructose Corn Syrup which contain mercury as well as other information.

Here is a facebook page that discusses getting HFCS removed from the market because of how bad it is- and they don't even mention the mercury part of it.  It is just bad in general.!/BanOfHFCS

Okay, so it is midnight again and I only got to one toxic food, but you get the picture.  Check your labels.  If you can't read the word and don't know what it is, don't eat it.  If it has HFCS (like your ketchup - yes, go check your label - unless you specifically bought the newer ones without it, it will say high fructose corn syrup).  HFCS also has many different names to disguise it.  As does Nutrasweet (also called aspartame, sucralose, to name a few..) which is also very harmful ESPECIALLY to children.  Food dyes, MSG, etc. etc.  There are so many and it is so sad that these foods are out there for our consumption even though they are known to be harmful.

Wow I really didn't get very far and didn't even talk about fast food, all the good foods our kids are NOT getting and going organic, etc.   That will have to be for another time.

For those of you that think I am crazy, I am - but that is beside the point.   But the information that I put on here is true.  It is in my words, but you can go and read it for yourselves.  It is in books, online, etc.  If you really do your own research and not just read what the media tells you, then it is obvious.

Wow - done with my rant.  More upbeat blog post tomorrow.  I think we are going swimming!  The kids LOVE it and I hate it.  The things we do for our kids.....

No comments:

Post a Comment