Friday, June 10, 2011

Why Do We Need Balance?

I stumbled upon this picture the other day and it really hit me.  There are lists of typical right brain and left brain characteristics but seeing this picture was much more dramatic to me.  (I guess I am right brained :)

If you look closely, you will see the people that are on the left are stuck in cubicles at computers.  They are working hard and their whole world is gray, uniform and structured.  The people that are on the right are happy, carefree, and just hanging around.  It is good to be completely on one side or the other?  No.  We need both sides to be working and at (mostly) equal levels in order for our minds and bodies to function properly.  We can't just play all the time and we can't just work all the time.  We won't be happy and our lives won't be in balance.  Our brains are muscles.  If we don't use them, they get weaker.   We all need to be using and exercising both sides of our brains.  Most all children with Autism, ADHD and Aspergers are right brain delayed.   They don't have enough of that beautiful right side that helps them be happy, connected, intuitive, spiritual, emotional, etc.  Of course this in an over-generalization:  My sons are both happy, smart and have fun.  But you can still tell there is a disconnect and they lack most right brain attributes. 

So - how to we get in balance?  For some people, the situation is more extreme and there is a need to move across the country :)  (Even though it is hard, because of the results you get, I highly recommend this)  For others it is just about well - balancing their lives and  doing everything in moderation.  Not too much work, not too much play, not too much TV, not too much recreation, not too much emphasis on school/academics and not too little.   Don't be too serious and be sure to use your imagination.  Think analytically but also look at the big picture.  Sometimes say "no" and sometimes say "yes".  Be detailed, but sometimes learn to let go.

We all have things we can work on don't we?  I know that I do.  I have been unbalanced for years.  Most of my life I was too far to the right.  Then because of where my life took me, I had to become more left dominant.  I was scheduled every second, my social life mostly disappeared and I was very detailed, driven and inflexible.  Now, I am working on somewhere in the middle.  I have learned to let go a little, learned to play a little more but still get my work done, learned to do things for myself as well as others and I am so much happier.  Life is still hard, but I have the tools from both sides of my brain to help me work through things.  It just really didn't work those other ways. 

Funny how this Brain Balance journey has helped our entire family become more balanced.  I wonder if this was all part of the plan? :)  I am so happy that the Lord is mindful of us and knows what we need and how to get us there.  It may not be the easy road - but it is the road we need.

Goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment