Wednesday, June 8, 2011

There's No Place Like Home - Or Is There?

It is kind of strange having two homes.  If I was Dorothy clicking my ruby slippers to go home, I don't know where I would end up.  When I am here (Brain Balance Home) I feel like I am at home.  My kids are here and my daily life is here.  But then when I go home (to my real home) then I have my husband and the memories of my life there so that also feels like home.  It is kind of a funny feeling.  I can't decide if having two homes make me lucky or just strange :) 

We are quickly approaching our halfway point - which I believe is June 20th.  At that point the boys will be reassessed and I am SO excited to see where they are at.  I just love watching them grow each and every day (or even minute!)  I am VERY interested in how the kids will react when the time comes to go back home.  Will they be excited?  Confused?  Will they remember much of their old life, where they slept or what toys they had?  I am sure Brody will because of his age, but I am not sure about Wy and Haze?  I plan to have that all on video because I am sure it will be indescribable.  I had only been gone 8 weeks when I went home the first time and it was a very wonderful yet strange experience.  I thought my husband had changed the floors and the counter tops - I really didn't remember them.  We still have a while to go, so we won't be packing our things yet, but we will be excited when the day comes - as will my husband.   He can't wait for us to come home!

Here is a quick update:

At home I got to spend a lot of quality time with my husband - that is VERY rare.  We talked (okay, mostly I talked) and talked and talked some more.  We went to dinner three times, and even saw a movie.  We spent Saturday scoping out locations for our Brain Balance Center which is so exciting!  It was really hard to leave him - especially since as of now it looks like we won't see him again until July 1st :(  I don't know how we will live that long!  We miss you Papa!

The kids were pretty excited to see me when I got home - it was cute! 

Wyatt grabbed me and pulled me right to his face and said "Kiss"  He wanted me to kiss him and hug him and had a huge smile on his face :) 

I asked Hazel if she missed me and she said  - in a very dramatic voice with many facial expressions - something like "I missed you so bad and I was sad, but then I was ok.  And I swimmed all by myself!" 

When I asked Brody if he missed me his response was "Ya!" I asked him if he liked it better when I was here or when I was gone.  He said he liked it better when I was here.  Phew!  That was a trap question - I am glad I got the answer I wanted!  When I asked him why he said "Because you are fun and because you give us food we need".  

After the airport we headed to the sensory gym.  The kids did great!  In fact, Wyatt didn't spend very much time in the toy room at all.  He played the whole time and didn't want to leave - even after 2 1/2 hours.  When he climbed up to the monkey bars I expected the same thing:  He usually hangs on a bar with both hands.  When you hold him to try to get him to go to the next bar he lets go with both hands rather than one and then grabs the next bar with both hands.  Well today out of nowhere he grabbed the next bar with just one hand and even though I was holding him up, he went across the monkey bars the correct way, alternating hands!  Go Wyatt!  Brody was riding the bike around (without training wheels!)  They jumped, did art time, the zipline and more! 

After that we decided we had better hit Costco or we were all going to starve.... When we got in there I asked the kids what they wanted.  Between Brody and Hazel they just started yelling out everything they could think of.  I was surprised that they knew what they wanted and it seemed like they had put some thought into it.   I heard:  "Strawberries!  Grapes!  Apples!  Raspberries!  Blueberries!" etc.  So we loaded up the carts, checked out and then headed home.  It was now 8:30 and I hadn't even been home today!  Well, I guess not to this home....

We got home and unloaded the car, fed the kids and did meds.  It was time for them to get to bed (well, way past time) so we went in to do stories.  Wyatt was obsessed with trying to get certain colored papers to make a house (this is a problem...) but we got him to come in for a minute for stories.  When stories were over, Wyatt said "sleep" and wanted to sleep by his brother and sister again!  It was so cute!  So we got his blanket and he snuggled up right in between Brody and Hazel and they all went to sleep!  They didn't even come out of the room once!  It is so cute that Wyatt wants to be around his Brother and Sister - it is really amazing.  We had to move him into his room after he fell asleep because we still don't know what he would do in the night or if he would run out of the house.  The old Wyatt would, but we don't know what to expect from the new Wyatt yet :)

I am happy to be back with the kids and Paige (even though I miss Bo)  and we are ready to work hard!  The harder we work, the better and faster the results.  

So I am home - my temporary home with our children.  My husband is in our other home working hard and supporting his family (in multiple ways) so that they can reach their greatest potential.   I am so grateful for the opportunity that we have to relocate for Brain Balance and to have two homes.    Already it has been well worth the hard work and money we have put into it and we are not even half way done.  If I had to go back, I would do it all again. 

Story Time!  None of the kids are actually asleep here.  Wyatt just looks like it and I think Brody was faking it.   I was telling them a story about a mean T-Rex! 


“A hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove… But the world may be different because I was important in the life of a child.”   
 
 Forest E. Witcraft


Goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment